Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Tearjerkers Hoosier Gathering, May 15-19, Brown County, IN

This trip was for the Hoosier Chapter of the Tearjerkers in Brown County, IN at the state park.

I started off the weekend by leaving Thursday night and driving to Franklin, KY where I stopped at Bluegrass Music RV Park. It had been a KOA up until a few weeks before and had been bought out by new owners who were working on improving it. It was a Good Sam park.

I had a pullthrough site with water, electric, and sewer.






The next morning I headed on to Nashville, IN and the state park for the Gathering.

This is a wooden bridge near the entrance to the State Park. I went in that entrance after a trip into town for stuff I forgot.

Here are pictures of all the teardrops at the gathering. I hope I didn't miss anybody.



































This was a neat setup. The family tows these in tandem. One for mom & dad, and the other for the kids.






















On my trip into town, I stopped at a scenic overlook.

This Little Guy wasn't part of our group, but was there at the campground that weekend, so I took a picture.



This is what happens when you don't bring your onboard water jug with you!!!!

The potluck dinner. Lot's of good food, and good conversation!!
















There was a movie shown Saturday evening after dusk, but I went back to my camper after dinner and did dishes, and then went inside the camper and turned on the Braves game on XM and sat down with a book for a bit. Next thing I know, it's 3 in the morning!!! A storm was rolling through, so I got up and sat under my awning and watched it come through :-)
Sunday morning, the sun came out nice and bright, so started to dissasemble and let things dry good and packed up, walked the loop of folks still there, and started for home. My goal was to get home that evening, but "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get"
I was about half way through Kentucky, when my engine light popped on, then my temperature gauge started rising!!! That's not good. Fortunately, I was right at a rest stop exit, so I pulled in there. I opened the hood and found a broken hose and water and antifreeze every where. This was about 3pm Eastern. I called home, then called Good Sam ERS to tell them the problem and to see about getting back on the road. They got my information on where I was, what I was driving and pulling, and what I thought the problem was, and said they would call me right back.
About 20 minutes later, I got a call back, and said they couldn't get the trucks out to me in time to get it repaired that evening, but a Chevy dealer nearby could get it first thing in the morning. They asked me if I wanted to camp or stay in a hotel that night, and of course I said camp, so they told me there was a Good Sam park within 1/2 mile of the Chevy dealer, so I agreed.
So about 2 hours after we hung up two trucks arrived. We disconnected my T@B and my truck went on one truck and my T@B went on the other. They took my truck to the Chevy dealer in Cave City, KY and took me and my T@B to Cave Country RV park right there nearby.
It was a very plain RV park, but immaculate. The two guys that run the place work endlessly to keep it nice and were very nice and offered to take me somewhere for dinner or whatever I needed. Since there was a Cracker Barrel within throwing distance of the campground, I ate there instead.
Here are the pictures of the campground. The sites were all pullthrough sites with electric, water, sewer, cable, and they had the fastest WiFi I've ever had. The laundry room and bath houses were spotless. While waiting on my truck, I did some laundry and some cleaning.




Shortly after 10am Central time, the dealer called and said my truck was ready, and they came and picked me up, and I took care of the bill, then went back to the campground, hooked up, and headed on home.
I had just recently switched from standard AAA to Good SAM ERS and was soooo glad I did. Just that one tow, paid for my membership!!!
I had a great time this weekend, even with the car trouble!!! Everyone was really friendly and seeing all the individual craftmanship and creativity on all the teardrops gives me some great ideas!!!
Coming next, back to Lake Guntersville State Park. Our Scout troop is going there to do some waterskiing, and it's our annual Scout family barbecue.
Thanks for reading!!
(775 miles)
Carol

No comments: