Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Mammoth Cave Caravan, May 8th

Final Day!! This trip WAS a blast and now it's time to wrap it up.

Sunday morning dawned HOT. (Of course it's the hottest day of the trip when I have to pack up).

All the other folks got out pretty early as they had longer drives home or to other destinations. (One couple still had about 3 more weeks of travel ahead of them!!)

I only had about 3 hours of driving, so I took my time. I packed up slowly and cleaned as I went, did laundry, had lunch, took a shower, and finally pulled out about 1:30 that afternoon.

Got home, put the T@B away, and watched the finale of Amazing Race!!!!

Here are the final pictures of the rest of the campers I didn't show in my report. (I don't wanna leave anyone out!!)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I added a state to my camping map, Virginia!!

Photobucket

Some stats

I camped in 5 states in 6 different campgrounds for 12 nights and traveled approximately 1350 miles, took over 600 pictures and had a GREAT time and got almost 15 MPG by "goin a little slower on teardrop time"

I ate some of the best cookin there was, saw some beautiful sites and made lots of new friends and got to know old friends a lot better.

One last postscript. On my drive home, for the last 20 miles I was driving through one of the hardest hit tornado areas near Huntsville. I was just FLABBERGASTED at all the destruction I saw a week & 1/2 later. Trees and power poles everywhere, houses off their foundation, one of our local TV station doppler radar domes GONE. We were only about 3 or 4 miles southeast of being severely hit ourselves. I truly felt blessed that my entire family missed major damage and only had to deal with being without power for a few days.

My parents had the most damage in that they lost some huge trees and a good bit of their wooden fence.

I also feel blessed that our family had the resources to relocate to places that did have power. Some other friends, extended family did not have those resources, and had to stay at home without power. We were blessed to be able to offer them Rick's hotel room for showers, charging phones, etc.



Thanks for readin!!!!

No comments: