Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Part 3 - Crossroads of America Tearjerker Gathering and Beyond, July 13 - 21, 2011

Mornin Sports Fans, well now it is time for the "Beyond" portion of the trip. As I mentioned earlier, I needed to be in Sterling, VA for work on Monday morning, so at 6:00 AM I was up and getting ready to hit the road. I am SOOOOO glad I packed up the night before, cause when I walked out of the camper that morning, the heat hit me like a ton of bricks. It was going to be a HOT one!!! We had GLORIOUS low 80s for the entire week, well now the heat was comin!!!

I was heading East on I-70 in no time.

I got a couple of shots from the highway.

The sun peeking out early morning in Indiana

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is Colts Stadium

Photobucket

I was trying to capture either the Dayton or Columbus, OH skyline, forget which.

Photobucket

Coming up on the mountains of West Virginia

Photobucket

This is where the "places" I've never been before comes in. I had never been as far North as I-70 driving and have never been in Ohio, WV, or Pennsylvania. I wish I had time to physically stop overnight in those places, but I had to get on down the road.

The drive through each of those states was a neat experience and can't wait till the time comes when I can stop and visit the unique attractions in each state of our great country!!

Coming next, meeting up with friends!!!

When this trip to Virginia from Indiana was brewing, I looked at maps and realized I might be near Johns' neck of the woods and sent him a message.

We discovered that I indeed would be coming near to his home, and they had a perfect outing in mind for us to meet.

So, here we are at Quaker Steak and Lube in the Cabela's parking lot near Wheeling, WV.

We spent a lovely couple of hours enjoying some barbecue, kitschy stuff hangin on the walls and ceiling of the restaurant and WONDERFUL conversation!!

I would have loved to wander Cabela's with them, but really needed to continue on down the road.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

After leaving the restaurant I passed into Pennsylvania and then back into West Virginia.

Driving through West Virginia was challenging, but beautiful. I don't think there is a flat stretch in the entire state, I was either going uphill or downhill.

Once I got into Virginia and closed in on the DC area, whooeee at the traffic. It took me over an hour to travel the last 20 miles, Holy traffic jam Batman!!

I got to Lake Fairfax Park in Reston, VA about 8:30 that night and set up camp and settled in.

OK, time to finish this one. Not much more to tell, I arrived at the campground, set up and went to work for the next 3 days.

I have a few pictures of the campground, and did have some time my last evening to take a few pictures of some of the amenities at this park.

Here is the web link to the campground and park

http://www.fairfaxco...ax/fairfaxcamp/

A shot of the campground sitting under my awning

Photobucket

A few pictures of my site - A39, 50 Amp Electric, no water, no sewer, but a place to fill the water tank, and dump the waste tanks nearby.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

If you'll notice, I didn't put out any signs or my lamp post. Since I was working, and solo didn't want to bring a lot of attention to myself (well as little attention as is possible with my rig) I still put out my string lights cause they actually serve a purpose. They give me light enough to walk around outside without putting on the glaring, bug attracting outside lights on the camper.

A few words about this park. This seemed to be a thriving county park that really did lots for the kids in the community. There were at least three different day camps going on, and apparently the school systems sponsor lots of summer programs, cause I saw lots of school buses there. (Or maybe they are leased for other purposes in the summer). Whatever the case, this area seemed to have a lot for the kids in the summer.

Here are the rest of the pictures of the park.

The lake

Photobucket

A picnic area near the lake

Photobucket


Boat rentals on the lake

Photobucket

Carousel

Photobucket

Water Park

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This was a fountain near a restaurant that I thought was pretty

Photobucket


A few night shots of the camper

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And that's all folks!!

Thursday morning, I packed up and made the 700 mile drive home. What's funny is one of my coworkers got to the airport before I left and got home AFTER I did, so flying is NEVER guaranteed to take less time to get somewhere than driving :-)

Oh and as promised, the link to my photobucket album that has shots of more of the campers that attended the gathering:

http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l169/clkelley564/Crossroads%20of%20America/?start=all

No comments: