Sunday, July 22, 2007

Our First Outing - Guntersville Lake State Park - July 20 - 22, 2007

We just got back this afternoon from our first T@B outing. It was OUTSTANDING!!! The MOUSE-KE-T@B worked flawlessly. We had an excellent site, and excellent weather. We gave 10 tours of our T@B and some friends from home even popped in on Saturday night and we visited with them.

We did learn a couple of things that we need to do to the T@B yet. On the ClamShell with the Coby TV/DVD unit, there is no way to turn off the outside speakers. With the CoolCat on, we have to turn the TV up a bit, and then the outside speakers get a bit loud, so we're going to add a switch to the speakers so that we can control which pair is on or off. We also need an inside darkening cover for the Northern Breeze fan. We also learned that the toaster oven needs to be pulled away from it's "attached" spot when on. We anchored it to the kitchen wall for travel, but it needs to be released and moved away from the wall when it is in bake mode.

Our first night sleeping in the T@B was OK, but a bit restless. Different bed, getting used to the CoolCat noise and all that. The second night I tried switching ends where my head was at Rick's feet and we both slept much better the second night.

My tow vehicle (2002 Explorer Sport Trac) got a test with the tow over Monte Sano Mountain, then up a mountain and a windy two-lane road to the campsite, but also did great!!
We snagged a partial hookup (electric & water) site right next to the comfort station with a great view of the lake. Georgous sunsets!!!

The comfort stations are the best I've seen so far in a State Park. They have tile flooring and private showers with a locking door. Inside each shower is a separate dressing area. The showers had great water pressure and plenty of hot water. They are cleaned thoroughly each morning, and trash is emptied and they are swept each evening. Outside each shower house is a very nice grey water disposal station. Great for emptying out those dishpans, and emptying the grey water container.

Now on to the pictures!!

Here is our T@B following us along on the highway on the way to the Campground.

We arrived about 3pm on Friday. Here is the sign to the entrance. There is a great little camp store where you check in.

Here is the view from our campsite.

Rick decided to try some fishing right away.

Here is a unique home-built camper a short distance from where we were parked.

Some geese wandering around the campground.

Here is our T@B all set up with the comfort station in the background.

Here is the kitchen area with the screen room.

Our roll-up metal table from Sam's Club.

Our portable grill on the camp picnic table and our dish basins and cooler.

Collapsible garbage can.

Mickey Mouse String Lights

Carol posing with the camper

Rick posing with the camper

The sunset on Friday night.

We cooked pork chops on the grill and made baked potatos in the toaster oven. Yummy dinner!! We called it a night and went to bed listening to Old Time Radio on our XM.

The boats starting up early Saturday morning. Rick slept in.

Rick cooking breakfast. Yummy omelets!!

Rick out fishing on the pier

A beautiful sailboat on the lake.
Carol drowning a worm.

Carol caught a bigger piece of seaweed than Rick did!!
We went back to the camper, watched Mary Poppins on the DVD, took a nap, and then had steak and potatos for dinner.
Then we went out to the pier again and tried a little more fishing since there were fewer boats on the water, but didn't have much luck.

Another beautiful sunset over the water on Saturday night.

We got back to the camper and some neighbors of ours from home pulled in right behind us. We sat up with them, showed them our setup and grilled some hotdogs as a late night snack.
We got up at 6am and tried our hand with the fish again before the boats got back out, but still nothing.
There was a goose on the water.

A crane on the shore wall
We came back to the camper and had breakfast, then decided since it was still early, and we had discovered a laundry room at a comfort station in another section, we would go ahead and wash everything up there so we could use multiple washers. So I stripped the beds and sent Rick off to the laundry. I then cleaned up the camper, swept and wiped everything down. It really saved time at home, as all we had to do was take out the food, dry out the fridge, and vacuum the camper, and it was ready for storage. We also went ahead and removed the "T" Fireball graphic on both sides as just about everybody asked if we were Tennesee Titans fans. We don't have anything against the Titans, but our camper is not a testament to that particular football team.
All packed up ready for storage.

Ready to hook it up.
The check list all checked, left the campsite cleaner than we found it. Home we go.
Exiting the campground.
Well, my next update should be the stereo speaker switch install, then the next outing is the KOA in Cleveland, TN in late August. I'm going whitewater rafting with Scouts. I'll have to look around to see if there are any activities for Rick while I'm on the river. If there is nothing that interests him, I'll be solo for the next one.
(150 Miles RT)
Thanks for reading!!
Rick & Carol


Gail said...

Dear Carol,
It was so fun to read about your adventures in your new T@B Clamshell! We took our new T@B Clamshell out for our first long trip 7/13/07-7/21/07 to Yellowstone. We saw 3 other T@B's on the road. We live in Minnesota. Love all of your modifications too - we have done some also and have a list of more to do! Keep blogging and sharing! Thank you so much! Gail

Brenda said...

May you have many more awesome adventures in your T@b! We will get one some day soon, but are living vicariously 'til then!
Thanks for blogging!